Southwestern College will begin its phased reopening in August and will bring many in-person student services and about 25 percent of classes to our campuses.
As the state of California has lifted most of its pandemic restrictions and South County continues to be a leader in vaccination rates, we are excited to begin our transition back to in-person services and classes and welcome back our students.
Southwestern College leadership will continue to monitor local health data, including vaccination rates, and regulations. District operations may change depending on those metrics. Southwestern College recognizes student, employee and community concerns about COVID-19. We are committed to ensuring a safe and healthy environment for learning and working.
Guiding Principles for Decision-Making
- Student health, well-being and educational success.
- Employee physical and financial health and well-being.
All campuses (Chula Vista, National City, Otay Mesa and San Ysidro) will open for in-person student services.
Updated Health Guidelines
- Vaccines are strongly recommended for Southwestern College students, employees and visitors, however, will no longer be required.
- The college is required to document the vaccination status of all employees and will be communicating the process to employees directly.
- Masks will only be required for unvaccinated individuals.
- There will no longer be daily screenings conducted on campus. Students and employees will be asked to self-screen for symptoms prior to coming to campus. Anyone experiencing symptoms should stay home and call their medical provider for more instructions.
- Welcome tables will be positioned across campuses to answer questions, provide assistance, provide masks for those needing them, and share reminders on how to keep yourself and others healthy and safe.
This FAQ was updated in June 2021, things may have changed by the time you read this. We will strive to update this document as state and local guidelines are updated.