Binational and International Programs

International students and voices are a core part of the diverse community at Southwestern College. Our Office of Binational and International Programs plays a central role in ensuring all feel welcome here, and if you have any questions at all about the international admissions process, our team is here to walk you through every step.

Chat or video chat with an International Admissions Advisor

What’s the International Admissions Process

Female student reading a textbook

Gather Your Documents

Applying for college does require certain things you’ll need. Review the “What You Will Need” section below very closely to ensure you don’t miss anything. 

Female student inside the Student Services building.

Apply for School

Once you’re ready to apply and have everything you need, you can get going! The application deadlines are: 

  • Fall semester: July 30
  • Spring semester: November 1
  • Summer session: May 1
Female student walking on campus.

Get Started!

​​You will find whether or not you’ve been accepted approximately 30 days after the application deadline. Before enrolling in a class, international students have several requirements, including attending a pre-semester orientation. For more details, please visit the Current International Students page.

What You Will Need to Apply as an International Student

Here’s what you’ll need for international admissions at Southwestern College. If you are looking for some more detail or information, we encourage you to contact our staff. We will be happy to help you through the process!

  • Online F-1 International Student Application: Submit all your documents via our online application. 
  • Proof of English Proficiency: Applicants must verify English Proficiency through one of the following:
    • TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language - Minimum score of 50 iBT (internet-based test). ETS must send the score directly to Southwestern College. Our ETS code is 4726
    • IELTS: International English Language Testing System - Minimum score of 5.5 IELTS Academic. IELTS must send the scores directly to Southwestern College.
    • Duolingo English Test - Minimum score of 75 Duolingo English Test. Select Southwestern College (California) to send the test score directly to us.  
    • Official transcripts or diplomas from a U.S. High School with the date of graduation posted.
    • Official transcripts from a U.S. college or university showing completion of a college-level English composition course.
    • Completion of Level 108 or higher at Q International School.
  • Transcripts:
    • Submit your official High School diploma or certificate directly to Southwestern College. If the documentation is not in English, you must also submit a certified English translation. 
    • Students who have attended college or university outside of the United States and want to transfer units to Southwestern College must submit an official course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
  • Personal Statement: Submit a 300-to-500-word personal statement. What are your educational and professional goals?
  • Evidence of Financial Support: You must provide evidence of sufficient financial support to pay for your tuition, books, supplies, and living expenses for one year. The total estimated cost per year is $30,431 U.S. Dollars. 
  • For Transfer Students: To verify your present status, you must send a copy of your I-20, a copy of your F-1 visa, a copy of your most recent I-94, and a Transfer Verification Form. 

Additionally, international students are required to purchase mandatory health insurance coverage while attending SWC. Contact our staff for more details.

Information for Current International Students

Ready to Apply?


F-1 International Student Application


Students who will reside in the U.S. must submit the F-1 International Student Application.


F-1 Border Commuter International Student Application


Students who are Mexican nationals, and will commute from Mexico to the U.S. for classes, must submit the F-1 Border Commuter International Student Application. The application deadline is one month before the start of the semester.