No test is required for placement in math, English and English as a Second Language (ESL) at Southwestern College!
Southwestern College's placement process is now based on multiple measures of students' ability to succeed in college level classes:
- All students can expect to be placed so that they can complete a transfer-level course in math and English within their first year of enrollment.
- Students who completed high school in the United States after 2010 are placed based on the information about the high school courses taken and grades received in math and English plus their overall unweighted grade point average (GPA). These students should receive an email with their placements within a few days of applying. (If you did not get your email, see below for next steps.)
- Most other students will be asked to complete a Math and English Guided Placement Survey to get placements into math and English. (MySWC login is required to access the survey.)
- All students have a right to take credit English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. Our ESL Guided Placement Survey gives students more information about our ESL program and helps them choose their placement level. (MySWC login is required to access the survey. The placement survey is available in Spanish.)
- Students who have already attended other colleges or universities and want to continue their studies in math and English, should visit our Prerequisites website for instructions on having their external coursework evaluated.
Find the answers to some common placement questions below:
The Assessment and Prerequisites Services Center provides timely and thorough assessment of student skill levels in English, reading and mathematics to provide placements. We also work with students to use assessments and coursework from other institutions to see if they can be used to meet course and program prerequisites at Southwestern College. More information about requisites, prerequisite services and using external assessment results can be found on the Prerequisites page of this website.
In the Assessment Center, a highly qualified and trained staff ensures a secure yet relaxed assessment environment aimed at minimizing student anxiety and increasing student success.
Southwestern College offers assessment services to all students to improve their chances of success.
We are here to support each of our student’s needs. Chat live on Cranium Café by finding an online staff member below. To learn more, visit the Virtual Welcome Center. Our student service specialists have their hours of availability listed on their profile cards. If a team member's hours are not reflective of their availability, they are likely supporting another student. We give each of our students the individual attention and time they deserve. Thank you for your patience.
If you are interested in more information about the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program, please chat with our ESL Student Advocate Specialist
Sí usted esta interesado en más información de Inglés Como Segunda Lengua (ESL) hable con nuestra ESL Student Advocate Specialist